yeast 1/2 tsp dried yeast and 1/2 cup lukewarm water
oil for deep frying
- Sift both flours into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the fresh yeast.
- If using dry yeast, stir it in
half a cup of lukewarm water and set aside for five to ten minutes
to activate it.
- Put the saffron strands in a cup
and leave to soak for 10 minutes in boiling water.
- Add the saffron strands in water
to the flour.
- Put in the dry yeast mixture.
- If using fresh yeast, add half a
cup of lukewarm water to the flour to 'thin out' the mixture.
- Stir well until the mixture is
- Add the yoghurt and beat to a firm
- Set it aside for an hour.
- Stir vigorously again before
beginning to fry.
- Heat the vegetables oil in a deep
frying pan till a high temperature.
- Using a funnel, pour in the batter
making figures of eight.
- Fry, turning occasionally until
crisp and golden on both sides.
- Lift out, drain for a few seconds,
then soak jalebi in the syrup for a minute.
- Remove the jalebi and place it on
a plate t0 drain.
To make the syrup :
- Heat the sugar and water over low
heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn up the heat and leave the mixture
to boil for several minutes until the syrup is fairly thick in
- Remove from heat, add the rose essence
and orange coloring and set aside until lukewarm.
Serves 6 - 8
Jalebis should be served as soon as
possible after making as they don't remain crisp for very long.
You can purchase the above ingredients here
If you like the above recipe
Subscribe to our newsletter.
More Indian Dessert Recipes
Desserts-Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |