Apple Gingerbread with Cinnamon Icing Recipe
Apple Gingerbread with Cinnamon Icing Recipes
8 oz cooking apples, peeled, cored and
sliced (peeled weight)
3 oz butter
6 oz golden syrup
4 oz soft brown sugar
5 fl oz milk
1 egg, beaten
8 oz plain flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 oz icing sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 170C Gas Mark
3, grease and base line a 8 in round cake tin.
- Put the apples in a pan with 1
tbsp water and cook until soft and mushy, allow to cool slightly.
- Put the butter, syrup and sugar in
a separate pan and warm gently over low heat until melted and well
- Cool slightly, then beat in the
milk and egg.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a
bowl, add the syrup mixture and beat well.
- Add the stewed apple and beat
until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and
bake for 75-90 minutes, until firm to the touch.
- Turn out of the tin and leave to
cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, sift the sugar
and cinnamon into a bowl and gradually add 1 tbsp warm water.
- The icing should be thick enough
to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the icing over the cake and
serve cut into slices or squares.
This makes a heavier gingerbread than
the traditional version made without apple. Omit the apple, if
You can purchase the above ingredients here
If you like the above recipe
Subscribe to our newsletter.
More Irish Dessert Recipes
Desserts-Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |