8 oz plain flour
1 oz butter
1/2 oz fresh yeast
1 oz sugar
5 fl oz milk
2 egg yolks
vegetable oil for deep frying
caster sugar and ground cinnamon, mixed
- Grease a baking sheet, warm the
flour and add the salt, rub the butter into the flour.
- In a separate bowl, cream the
yeast with 1 tsp of the sugar.
- Warm the milk and pour it over the
egg yolks in a bowl, then add to the yeast.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour
and mix to a light dough using your hand.
- Beat for 10 minutes, until the
mixture leaves your hand clean.
- Flour the bottom of the bowl and
leave the dough to rise in a warm place, such as an airing cupboard,
covered with oiled Clingfilm, until doubled in size.
- Turn out the dough on to a floured
surface and knead well until free from cracks, then roll out to
about 1/2 in thick. Cut into large circles and cut out the centers.
- Place them on the greased baking
sheet and leave to rise again in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil until faintly
smoking, then fry the doughnuts, a few at a time, for 6-8 minutes,
- Drain the doughnuts on absorbent
kitchen paper, then toss in the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
You can purchase the above ingredients here
If you like the above recipe
Subscribe to our newsletter.
More Irish Dessert Recipes
Desserts-Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |