Simnel Cake Recipe
Simnel Cake Recipes
8 oz sultanas
8 oz raisins or currants
2 oz glace cherries
2 oz mixed peel
6 oz butter
4 oz soft brown sugar
8 oz plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp ground ginger
3 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 170C Gas Mark
3, grease and base line a 7 in round cake tin, grease the
- Cream the butter, sugar and lemon
zest until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Sift the flour and fold it into
the mixture with a metal spoon.
- Add the fruit and mixed peel, mix
together to a soft dropping consistency.
- Roll out 6 oz of the marzipan and
shape into a round the same diameter as the cake tin.
- Spoon half the cake mixture into
the cake tin, place the round of marzipan on top, then spoon the
rest of the cake mixture over it.
- Bake for 120-150 minutes, then
leave the cake to cool.
- Roll out 5 oz of the remaining
marzipan to a round the same size as the cake and place it on the
- Roll the remaining marzipan into
11 balls and place them around the top edge of the cake.
Nowadays, simnel cake is still a
festive cake, served on Easter Sunday. The balls of marzipan on the top
of the cake represent the 11 faithful disciples.
You can purchase the above ingredients here
If you like the above recipe
Subscribe to our newsletter.
More Irish Dessert Recipes
Desserts-Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |