Tomato and Anchovy Tartlets Recipes
250g wholemeal flour
1/2 tsp salt
50g hard white fat, diced
50g butter, diced
3 tbsp olive oil
3 large onions, thinly sliced
6 tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
50g can anchovy fillets, drained and
soaked in 2 tbsp milk for 15 minutes, rinsed, drained
10 black olives, pitted
salt and pepper
basil sprigs, to garnish
- To make the pastry, sift the flour
with the salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the fat and butter and rub
them in with the fingertips until the mixture resembles fine
- Add just enough water to bind to a
stiff dough, knead lightly until smooth.
- Turn the dough on to a lightly
floured surface, roll out to 5mm thickness and use to line ten 7cm
- Prick the pastry with a fork and
chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add
the onions and fry over a low heat for 5 minutes, until soft and
- Stir in the tomatoes, garlic and
- Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes,
until the sauce is thick.
- Season to taste with salt and
- Bake the tartlet cases in oven,
350F, gas mark 4, 7 minutes.
- Remove the foil and beans, spoon
the tomato filling into the tartlet cases.
- Arrange the anchovy fillets and
olives over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then remove
form the oven.
- Cool in the tins for 10 minutes,
then transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve cool, garnished with the
You can purchase the above ingredients here
If you like the above recipe
Subscribe to our newsletter.