Cherry Strudel Recipes
Cherry Strudel Recipe
250g/ 2.25 cups
75g/ 2/3 cup
150g/ 10 tbsp
strong plain flour
100ml/ 3.5 fl oz/ scant 1/2 cup warm water
sifted icing sugar, for dredging
For the Filling
65g/ 2.5 oz/ generous 1/2 cup walnuts,
115g/ 4 oz/ generous 1/2 cup caster sugar
675g/ 1.5 lb cherries, stoned
40g/ 3/4 cup day-old breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200oC (400oF),
- Sift the flours together into a warm
- Make a well in the centre, add the
egg, 115g/ 4oz/ 1/2 cup of the melted butter and the water.
- Mix to a smooth, pliable dough, adding
a little extra flour if required.
- Leave wrapped in clear firm for 30
minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix
together the chopped walnuts, sugar, cherries and breadcrumbs.
- Lay our a clean dish towel and
sprinkle it with flour.
- Carefully roll out the dough until it
covers the towel.
- The dough should be as thin as
possible, so that you can see the design on the cloth through it.
- Dampen the edges with water.
- Spread the cherry filling over the
pastry, leaving a gap all the way around the edge, about 2.5cm/ 1 in
- Roll up the pastry carefully with the
side edges folded in over the filling to prevent it from coming out.
- Use the dish towel to help you roll
- Brush the strudel with the remaining
- Place on a baking sheet and curl into
a horseshoe shape.
- Cook for 30-40 minutes, or until
- Dredge with icing sugar and serve warm
While quite time-consuming to make, cherry strudel,
with its light-as-air texture and fruity filling, is well worth the
You can purchase the above ingredients here
If you like the above recipe
Subscribe to our newsletter.
More Pie Dessert Recipes
Desserts-Recipes All rights Reserved.
Contact Us |